Ford F150 Forumz banner

2011 XLT front struts

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Drangd 
#1 ·
I am debating that the Monroe 171140 Reflex Strut package might be a better deal considering the amount of nonsense that the replacement struts look like they are going to be. I changed out the rears with the Monroe Reflex and noticed a difference right away. I did not think that 71k of highway driving with very little towing would trash the rears. WRONG Mellon Head.

The difference in price for the 171140 vs. the replacement 71140 is not all that great from Rock Auto. Not cheap but considering with the complete unit there will be new spring, and all I would have to do is compress it enough to get it in. 3 bolts on top and one on the bottom. Sounds a lot easier than removing suspension parts and all the rig- em- roll that it will take to remove the strut from the spring . I really do not see how the new replacement strut is going to attach to the old coils. Worse old parts with a new cartridge seems stupid. I come from the electrical industry and there are just certain things we did not do on 5kv and above breakers. Change all of the contacts not just one for instance.

To me replacing the complete unit, I am less likely to need an alignment after the replacement as I am not affecting any thing other that the up down of the wheel. As worn out as the old rear shocks were
I imagine the existing springs are not close to new spec.
Probably will get the alignment checked when I am done.

Comments / suggestions /words of wisdom are solicited.

D

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.