Ford F150 Forumz banner

Roof top racks

12K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Chief57 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm new to the club...just bought a 2007 King Ranch crew cab. I'd like to get a canoe, but before I do that I think I should get a good quality roof rack, and I'd like your opinions. I'd like one of those that clamps to the door openings. Basically, I'm looking to get two bars across the roof that I can use for a multitude of purposes. Any thoughts?

#3 ·
Well, I waited patiently for some input from this forum. Finding none, I ordered an aluminum rack from Erickson. It features adjustable tie-downs that slide on a track. I really like the look and functionality of this rack, but I don't consider it an ideal solution for a canoe/kayak application. One reason is that I have a 5.5 foot bed, and I want a long canoe. I think there needs to be more of a spread between the racks. I still have not purchased a canoe. What I think I might try (when I do buy one) is using the back rack only for the rear of the canoe. For the front, I might try those foam gunnel pads that mount directly to the canoe, then letting it rest directly on the truck's roof. The trick will be tying it down without rubbing paint.

Hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.