Ford F150 Forumz banner

brake rotors

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Drangd 
#1 ·
I'm brand new. I'm here with a problem, with can be no surprise. I have a 2013 F150, XLT, 5.0. There are 13 thou mile and change on it. I've noticed recently a bit of shake when braking. Not terrible, but it shouldn't be there.

I took it to a dealer. They came back and said the rotors are warped. The pucks show almost zero wear, everything else is fine. They recommended replacing the rotors, up front, for starters. They also asked me if I had any work done on the vehicle. As if the warped rotors didn't square with the lack of puck wear. I've not towed or hauled with vehicle. No abuse. Just road driving.

They didn't have parts but I wanted to think it all over in any case. I talked the Service Mgr by phone. He said that resurfacing the rotors was "an adjustment" per FOMOCO, and not under warranty. I feel like I'm being jerked around. How can the rotors be warped at 13000? And if I replace them for 5 Cs in parts, what happens after another 12 or 13000?

He gave me the following explanation. The ABS, for safety concerns, requires that the pucks be in constant contact with the rotors during normal driving, without applying the brakes. That builds up heat. Driving in a cold rain can cause the rotors to warp because of thermal contraction. In the Pac NW where I live, cold rain is 9 month out of the year, with some in the other 3 months just for good measure. He said he went to slotted aftermarket rotors on his own Super Duty. Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so, how was it resolved? Thanks,

jack

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes I had a intermittent shimmy with my front breaks on my 2011 Ecoboost. I drove them for 75k and when they started squeaking backing out of the garage I decided it was time to look into the issue. Parts were $155 and my local shop was $209 decided not to get dirty. They found that the front pads were glazed/melted. Plenty of pad, but evidence of HARD breaking which means they got really hot. The ceramic had melted in a couple of spots. I remember a couple of times that I did the throw out the anchor cause of some beef witted moronic b------. Once I was towing my trailer with a 3k tractor on it. Trailer has breaks. Decided to pay for new front breaks and be done with the problem.
I can see Fords issue with warped front rotors. The company can not predict how the operator is going to use/abuse the vehicle let alone anticipate the beef witted morons.
Now that my front rotors have been turned I will be looking at new rotors next time. The front end does more than 50% of the stopping for our trucks. When time for a replacement I will look into bigger/better rotors and pistons. Not sure if I will fork out the money for that, will look any way. I do not tow every day but I like the feeling that I can reduce speed faster than the accident that could happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.