Ford F150 Forumz banner

Mileage on a 1986

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Mr Mac 
#1 ·
How can you tell when the mileage turns over to 100,000 on these trucks? I'm looking to buy one and the guy says 75,000 but I'm concerned that its 175,000 :eek:. The counter goes to 99,999.

Thanks in advance.

Carl

#2 ·
Carl,

The only way to really know is to talk to an honest seller who isn't afraid to tell the truth. None-the-less, buyer beware. I have always approached a used vehicle with some tough questions about the life of the vehicle. I have found that honest people typically jump right in with honest answers and those who are trying to hide things don't.

Have you asked directly about the mileage (if it is correct or if there is a new speedometer, etc.)?

#3 ·
In all likely hood the mileage is well over 100K as you suspect in a truck that is nearly 30 yrs old. That being said it is possible that there was less than 3000 miles per year put on it. One telltale sign is the condition of the interior, particularly the drivers side of the seat. Is it ripped and worn on the edge/half near the drivers door? Is there a definite buttock crevice? or is it obviously been replace or covered? at 75K miles the seat ought to be in pretty good shape as well as the rest of the interior and exterior fro that matter (less fading simply from 27 years in the sun and weather). Just some things I look for. Of course I have been burned ounce too. If you are unsure and the low mileage is the big selling point for you either don't buy it or don't pay too much. That's my advice anyway.
Jared

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I did ask the guy directly, the story is that he was the 3rd owner. Original owner an older guy who died and wife sold at some later point in time, second owner a kid who had it a few years and then the guy I bought the truck from. Who replaced the fuel tank and pump, new brake lines, tune up etc. I feel like I stole it.

I am not a mechanic, but have "tinkered" on cars. The seat looks almost brand new, the brake pad, no wear. The seat foam has the typical look form being 30 years old but the truck looks like it is about 5 years old, yes a little rust in the corners, but nothing like a 30 year old vehicle shoud look. Ecspecially from Michigan, where we invented rust:) Doors shut like brand new. I am 90% convinced the vehicle has 71,000 miles on it.

So I am now the proud owner of a 1986 Ford Flarside. :cool:

Now my next question, the paint color is gray, I guess I would call it medium gray. Almost Ford 8N gray (which I own one) I want to hit a few areas with some spray paint. Anybody know what color Ford called it? Is the info on the tag on the door?

I think there was a tag, but to be honest, I have owned the vehicle for 2 days and I spent 1 day washing inside and out. So I'm not sure what's where. Is that the right spot to look or?

Again thanks in advance.

#5 ·
For 1986 the F-150 came in two grays, a Smoke Metallic and a Light Smoke Metallic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.