Ford F150 Forumz banner

Lazy air conditioner

7K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Mr Mac 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all.
Just traded in my 2006 Z71 for a brand new 2012 Ford XLT 4X4 Crew Cab.

The temps here in St Louis have been in the high 90's for a few weeks and as soon as I took delivery of my new truck, I noticed the AC isn't cutting it.

The next day I complained to the dealer and they agreed to check it out right away. I dropped it off for service and about an hour later they called and stated they could not find anything wrong with it. I expressed my concern but agreed to give it a chance. I didn't read the work order until I got home.The tech noted that the air was blowing 32 degrees! I call BS on that one.

Took it to a different dealer a few days later. They also say they can't find anything wrong with it. I complained, and the service manager had the tech install some "freon conditioner". I agreed to give it over chance the weekend. It's been two days and I haven't noticed any difference at all. I'll be calling him Monday to see if there is anything that can be done.
Maybe Ford customer Service?

40 degrees is the best it will do, day or night. Very little condensation dripping outside of the vehicle. At times, no drips at all.

I never had a thermometer in the Z71 but it sure felt colder then the XLT.

Would one of my fellow F150 drivers care to comment? Maybe stick a thermometer in their truck..??

See less See more
#2 ·
40 is fine. An average of 38 to 44 degrees (depending on outside temps and humidity) is what you can expect from R-134.

#4 ·
Temps here in St Louis are hovering at 95. Even with the AC on max for miles, the fact that I see only a tiny bit of condensation dripping under the vehicle, makes me think the AC is not working as good as it could be.
I drive 3 other vehicles and with the current temps and humidity, they are putting out condensation like mad. I have seen my wife's Mariner blowing 38 degrees. I know, 38 or 40, no big deal. But the lack of condensation from my F150 make me wonder.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks Virg......
Today I did just that. The service manager suggested the same thing. Another 5.0 liter, Crew Cab off the lot was blowing about 4 degrees colder than mine. It actually felt colder than that to the skin. And this comparison vehicle was dumping condensation after only about a 5 mile ride.
But what I find much more interesting, is the fact that I drove my truck about 15 miles from work to the dealer with the air on (104 degrees in St Louis today). When I got to the dealer my vehicle was not dripping ANY condensation.
The service manager stated he would like to check my vehicle to determine where the condensation is going. ( I don't think it's dripping anywhere, I don't think it's dripping at all. I mean, if it were dripping in the cab, it would be running out of the doors by now.) He also said he can't guarantee my air will get any better.
Again, I feel if it starts dripping condensation, my comfort level will rise.
I need to find a ride before I can leave my truck at the dealer. I may call my salesman to see if he can provide a loaner.

#8 ·
Temps in St Louis were over 95 today, the A/C in my 2013 FX4 is working way better than the A/C in my 2012 XLT. I guarantee whoever bought my 2012 XLT is complaining.
The air coming out of the vents is colder than what I experienced in the 2012.
Loving the cooled seats in my 2013 too.

#9 ·
Cool seats are nice to have especially if you have leather!

Congrats on the new truck. Where are the pictures? ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.