Ford F150 Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wasn't looking for the chrome package, especially the 20" upgrade chrome when I made the purchase, but everything else about the truck is great. After making my purchase, I read somewhere else that the Pirelli tires that come with the wheels are horrible. According to several comments I read; they constantly hydroplane on wet roads, there's no off-roading capability whatsoever, they're a drag on mph, and they're only good for 15k miles. Anyone here know anything about that?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The Scorpions (assuming that's what you have) are probably not the best tire for a 4WD vehicle, that's for sure! They actually do have a higher rolling resistance which can affect your fuel mileage but, in addition to that, Ford seems to want to send them out over-inflated which tends to also hurt ride quality. Most people tend to drop the tire pressure down to 30-32 psi and that will help a lot.

As for hydroplaning, their basic design doesn't seem to really be all that good on wet roads so, be careful!

As for off-roading, if you plan to go off road, then I would certainly opt for something better like the Wrangler, Cooper Discoverer or A/T TAs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a set of 20" Pirelli Scorpions tires and they are a rough riding tire, they don't wear very well. They had 22,500 miles on them when I took them off but they still had a few miles left on them. I just couldn't stand the ride any longer. I felt like I was driving a tank. My truck now has a very nice set of Michelin LTX M/S2 275/55/20's with a 70,000 mile warranty that have a much nicer ride.

I believe that the Prielli's are just another one of those tires that Ford got a good deal on for OEM application and I would bet there aren't many that are replacing them with another set of the same tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I guess I'm wondering why this thread is titled "20" Chrome clad wheels" when it's really about tires.

I have the 20" chrome clad wheels, and there is a gouge in one of them and a lesser blemish in another. So, I'm interested in getting two used wheels at a good price. Anyone selling theirs? Is there anything about these wheels that a new owner should know?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts