Ford F150 Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post on this forum...so right to the question. I have a 2006 F150 with 125,000 miles on it and have never had or did a tune up on it. I have a Superchip in it along with a cat back and K&N cold air intake. This truck has been a screamer! I change the oil every 5k with full synthetic and do the trans fluid change every 25k. Never a issue with this truck until last week. Started to get the dreaded chug alug when the OD kicked in at around 42-45 mph. I instantly took it out of OD and it ran/runs fine. That is till I partial throttle it and then I hear and feel the miss. If I WOT it, it gets half way through its powerband before really missing/sputtering at which point the check engine light starts flashing. I have to do this a few times in order to get the CEL to stay on at which point I plug my Superchip module in and it tells me there is a misfire on cylinder whatever one it is. I proceed to change that plug and then test drive it with no issues.....until a day or so later it starts doing it again of which I find now its a different cylinder. I have now changed out all but one plug (can you guess which one it is?? LOL) and it seems to be running fine today. But what gives? Why this one then that one then that one on that bank etc... Is the computer sensitive between the old and new plugs? And no I haven't sprayed water in the engine compartment nor does it rain here in sunny southern Calif. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem with a 1997 Expedition with the 5.4 2 valve motor.

After I replaced the first bad coil (pointed out by OBDII scanner), it ran fine for a few days, just as yours. Then the problem moved to another cylinder. I eventually had all coils replaced after I replaced the first two.

The mechanic stated that once the first coil goes bad, the rest soon follow.

As to why, I asked? He had no answer except that he sees that scenerio all the time on the Ford coils.

Hope this sheds some light on the problem :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having a similar issue. I bought an 03 Supercrew 5.4Triton after a week it started throwing a Camshaft sensor code, it had a sporadic jerking issue,I had the sensor changed and it didn't fix it. My mechanic who works at a ford dealer had me stop by and put it on a laptop and while we drove it watched each cylinder. Once we seen the cylinder missing we changed the coil. Each time we would change a coil and it would do good for a day or so, then another coil would go. I also noticed that the alternator was a 8 groove pulley not the 6 that was required so I changed it just to have the right part on the engine. It seems to work good until I attach my small trailer or have a load and it makes it act up again. So I am at the point that I have changed all the coils (from ford) , all motorcraft plugs, new alternator and it is still jerking at all speeds under 2k RPM. What could this be? Did your issues finally quit? Please help.

·
Registered
182 Posts
To the OP, I would say your MAF sensor is contaminated with dirt and oil from running the K&N. The best thing you can do is clean the MAF sensor, and re-install the OEM cold air intake with a paper filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I seem to be having the same type stutter as Auther37. My 02 is 100% stock. Reading of cyl 8 misfire and bank 1 & 2. Could the coil pack be bad? Purchased from local auto parts store, not a chain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts