Ford F150 Forumz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.
I have mixed feeling about purchasing the extended warranty for my 2012 Lariat that I am taking delivery this Wednesday.
It is the Ecoboost engine equipped. Nav also.

What is everybody doing?
To get or not to get, that is the question.
I will not be doing any towing with it, just regular driving and occasional trip to Florida from Toronto Ont. I live in Toronto.

Dealer is selling me Tricare Extended warranty.
When I go to web site I see Tricor mixed in same website. Doesn't look like typo's either. Makes me suspicious.

What is your experience with warranty and service required after warranty?
I have until Wednesday to make up my mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's a good Question.
I just got my FX4 on Jan.26, 2012.
I have the 3.5 Ecoboost. Love it. The extended warranty I purchased for 7 years , four additional, was about $2100.00. I always buy the extended warranty because I'm going to drive it a long time. My last long time was my 2007 I traded it in for my 2012. Almost five years. I broke my own rule, I got the extended 5 year warranty on the 2007.
I've never have used the extended warranty, but, my 2012 truck like yours, has the 3.5 ecoboost, Nav., Moon Roof, ten way power seats, heated mirrors, seats, etc.. Big Time Computer & TWIN TURBOS!!
It will depend on how long you keep your new truck??
They sell it & hope you never use it. You buy it & still hope you never need it.
Like Clint Eastwood said::: DO YOU FEEL LUCKY PUNK!
If you have to use it one time it has paid for it's self. If you never use it, what a waste of money.
It depends on your $$ & piece of mind.
Good Luck.
R.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like a crap shoot!
I did used my extended warranty on my 05 Nissan Pathifinder all the way up to the 160000 km (100K miles), 2 tranny's, 2 rads, front end stuff, fuel pump and so on... a real disaster that was.
This time around, getting rid of 06 Nissan Titan before more goes wrong and hopefully Ford is better, just at my financial limit this time around. :(

·
Premium Member
2013 F-150 XLT 4WD with 5L
1,774 Posts
I just used the last bit of extended warranty on my 2004 F-150 when the alternator went out on me. The alternator alone was around $300 and the labor (yes, I could have done it myself) would have been an additional $200 and all it cost me was my $25 deductible.

Are extended warranties worth the cost? Not if you don't use it. On the other hand, there is the peace of mind...

·
Registered
48 Posts
its better to have and not need than to need and not have. plus you can always add it till the factory one is up. i know most dealers push you to get it so they can get you to finance it and it gives them a higher sales number for them to show ford witch makes ford happy. but you can buy it cheaper with out the finance charges in a year or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I always buy the extended warranties on my vehicles, since I always sell them later myself before the warranty ends and it's a great private sales tool to be able to offer a warranty (make sure it's transferable, but they usually are). Sometimes I buy them when I buy the vehicle and sometimes I buy them later before the factory warranty expires. Don't let them pressure you to buy it now, unless they can give you a good discount, and they can; otherwise you will have plenty of opportunity to buy it later (you'll get offers in the mail up the wahzoo). And, on a few occasions, they have paid for themselves because I used them. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm seriously considering purchasing a Ford ESP for my 2010 XLT Screw. My factory warranty will expire within the next 7,000 miles so I'll need to do something fairly soon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe you don't need to buy the extended warranty the day you take delivery. They'll gladly sell it to you later.
Consumer Reports says don't buy the extended warranty but???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts