Ford F150 Forumz banner

87 F150 Starter will not disengauge!

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  89lariat 
#1 ·
Okay guys I hoping someone on here has some insight for me on my current problem. I have searched and searched through many threads and am still stuck.

So a few days ago I had some bad grinding noises upon starting the truck. They got progressively worse so I pulled off my starter to check things out. Lots of metal shavings on and around the flywheel and the teeth on the starter gear were decently worn. No problem, easy fix.

So I go down to the wrecker and grab a new starter and throw it in. When i start up the truck the starter will not stop running. Thinking defective starter I grab a different one and throw it in. Still same problem. Tried changing the fender mounted ignition relay [solenoid] and still no change. Double checked my wiring and everything is wired up as it should be.

What I think is happening is that the stater gear is not releasing from the flywheel after the engine is started up. The starter continues to run even after I have pulled off the ignition switch wire from the top post of the solenoid.Does anyone know if the starters are different sizes on a manual vs a automatic [my truck is a 4spd]? I did not pay much attention to the the bronco that I pulled the starter off. It was a '90 bronco. My starter looked exactly the same as the new one I pulled off.

Any thoughts anyone?

See less See more
#2 ·
Just for reference if anyone else has this problem. Starters are different for a automatic vs a a manual. On an auto the starter gear protrudes much farther out of the starter than on a manual hence due to the fact of me having an auto starter on my manual my flywheel was taking my starter along for the ride. Lesson learned!:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.