Ford F150 Forumz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to this forum and don't know if this is the correct place to post this but thought I would give it a try.

My 5.0L F150 has problems cold starting. It starts rough, like it is flooding (if it had a carb. I would swear it was the auto choke), requires keeping the idle up over 1500rpm or it stalls out - - this goes on for 2 to 10 minutes until it settles in and then runs fine. You can actually hear the engine idle get set correctly and then all is fine even if you shut the engine off for a while. If it cools down you start all this over again. It is much worse in cold weather. I have replaced the Ox sensor, idle control valve, plugs, distributor, wires, filters, but none of this has helped.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Reggie

·
Premium Member
2013 F-150 XLT 4WD with 5L
1,775 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Reggie.

As always, the first thing I would recommend is checking to see what codes there might be to truly narrow this down.

That said, idle speed control for your truck is accomplished by the idle air control (IAC) motor or an IAC valve in combination with ignition timing. Since you state that it gets better after it warms up we'll hold off on blaming the TPS for now.

Mac

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mac,

Thanks for the reply. I did replace the idle control valve about a year ago when this first started happening. It didn't help. I am not aware of an idle control motor.

I have not checked the codes - - the check engine light has never come on so I never thought to check. I do have the equipment to check the codes so that is what I will try next.

TPS - - is that the throttle position sensor? I did something with this last year also but will have to check my notes.

Could cleaning the upper throttle body help this?

Reggie

·
Premium Member
2013 F-150 XLT 4WD with 5L
1,775 Posts
Yes, TPS = throttle position sensor. Cleaning the throttle body is always a good thing to do though a dirty TB would manifest itself regardless of starting or running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts