Ford F150 Forumz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I'll say.. Howdy All !

My truck recently had a full tune up. I think the tune up made this problem more clear...it has a miss (choke,cough, hiccup) under light acceleration or when I feather the pedal to hold speed (no cruise). It feels like it is about to run out of gas. Or, if it had one; like the carb is loading up.

It will do it in all gears. It does not appear under hard acceleration. Tachin' up makes it smooth out, when it does happen. Running in a lower gear and keeping it wound up, is smooth. Shows up sometimes at idle, mostly at steady speed.

I once had a Ranger that lost a catalytic/exhaust sensor. Kinda like that hesitation but, does not die when hot.

Racking my limited mechanic brain. EGR, Oxygen Sensor, Throttle Sensor...Any of you had similar problems or have any thoughts...??

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

When you performed the tuneup did you replace the fuel filter?

Mac

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

Put a new fuel tank and pump on in February...did change filter again,with tune up...

Going to change throttle position sensor tomorrow.
It is 16 years old (most parts are ORIGINAL); and the cheapest of the current thoughts.

No check engine light, so; not throwing any codes...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could be a vacuum issue. Maybe as simple as gasket or gromit that needs to be replacing. Also check the pvc valve.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks V.anon...will do that..

Did not change throttle position sensor, under mechanics advise; and..
DID; clean both, throttle body and side mounted sensor with carb cleaner...helped some..think it's gonna be one of those things that gets chased and chased...

O2 sensor and PCV are next in line...

Is there a way to do a vacuum check that would lead me to the problem area??

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
With a truck that old it would probably be a wise thing to just replace all the vacuum lines you see. Good thing is, they're cheap!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vacuum lines will be done...Thanks.

Seems the Oxygen sensor, just before the catalytic converter; did smooth it out!!

still to come.... vacuum lines, throttle body spacer, K&N air system, body cancer fixes...... gonna be keepin the Ol' Girl for a while longer.....

OH yeah, and that growling power steering pump !!!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Good to hear! You need to post some pics for us as you make your repairs.

Mac

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Ya'll...
Being an over-the-road driver and deciding to not have a boob tube or internet in the truck , makes for a long time between posts...

I was a bit to quick to call it a fix... Ol' Girl still having hiccups. Not as bad as before but, I haven't gotten the vacuum lines done yet and am thinking possibly a bad catalytic converter ..... So on we go!

Pics of the repairs...what a thought... have to remind myself to slow down and take a few along the way. That'd be a great thing to look back on. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Done - PCV, O2 sensor, any vacuum line that touched anywhere, throttle body cleaned, new crankcase air filter (inside the box), had a catalytic converter check done (clear - no restriction), Sea Foam-ed tank and upper cylinders

Results - smoother idle, have not had hiccups (yet) bout 75 miles since the above was completed.

To Do : Too many to list but; body cancer, pwr steering, air intake, and exhaust will be among the first and any issues resolved enroute to 'back up to snuff' ... !!!

Thanks for the help so far; and what may be offered later.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Glad to hear that she's running better and we look forward to hearing about the continued repairs.

Mac

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, so...
still having issues...much less than when I started but;
Decided to change the in-line fuel filter and see what that would do...!?!?!
Been having the mechanic do it when they did a service...I thought! .......

Got the metal, scissor type tool. Disconnect the negative side, bleed the schrader, open the tank....tool inserted and the inlet side came off...the out flow (to engine)..well, that is a completely different critter !!
Sprayed the fitting with PB blast stuff; let sit over night, and still it won't come off !!

I'm open to thoughts ideas, suggestions (other than bodily harm to the design engineer - got that thought covered)..

Truck will run with old filter. I'm not stranded by this. I would like to know how to make this easier. Think I'll be doing more of my own stuff; probably be more cost efficient...it will definitely get done the way I want it done !!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey all, Been awhile.
Went to the local FORD today ...have a bent clamp finger inside the outflow line for the frame mounted fuel filter.
Also, after talking with the tech; he suggested new plugs and wires...on the thought that the "wet weather hiccups" (talked of so frequently) may be; moisture causing a carbon-based grounding at the end of the wire.
Dielectric grease over the ceramic to seal that connection...??

Will get some pics up soon of new rear spring shackles and hangers; front spring towers and shocks along with new radius arm brackets and bushings... pieces and parts are getting her back to where the Ol' Girl oughta be !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dang....where'd ya'll go .. ??...

Seems that my problems are as much weather related; as some of the other posts I have found here and around the net.

Hard cold, dry days all is good.
Damp - cool once she's good and warm... mostly ok.
Wet, warm/chilly... scratch it.

Check engine light is intermittent. Sometimes at idle. Sometimes at road speed. Then off and not back on til it decides to work...

OBD 1, no hook up in cab....how do I get the codes??

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Look under the hood, on the drivers side, near the firewall, for the harness just to the right of the brake vacuum booster. There should be a plastic holder attached to the inner fender area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the EEC plug, bought a coder reader.

KOEO codes are

122 - O,R,C - TPS below minimum voltage

332 - R,C - Insufficient flow detected

...will go forward from there..

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Sounds good. With those codes, cleaning or replacing the TPS would be first on my list and then see if the 332 went away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Had the TPS,replaced. Codes cleared.
Found an air "sucking" leak at the intake gasket - fixed
She also has a new clutch,slave cylinder,shifter bushing, and rear main seal ...since last I posted...

Still have a miss, more rough than miss..thinking plugs or wires....they are probably next...and Motorcraft!!

Nothing worth pics as yet...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts