Ford F150 Forumz banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was informed that you don't put the anti-freeze on the threads, just the "sleeve". And what about doing it in cold weather as opposed to the recommended "room tempature" (70*)???

I was informed that you don't put the anti-freeze on the threads, just the "sleeve". And what about doing it in cold weather as opposed to the recommended "room tempature" (70*)???
I'm going to attempt to change my plugs, I'm aware of the hazards, have "boned-up" as best I can, but I have this question: I've read where the engine should be "room temperature", and certainly not at all hot. But what about it being cold, as in friggin' freezin'?

Any problems prop up when it's 30 out and I try to crack 'em before pouring in the carb cleaner?

I really want to do these now, not in the spring, and I don't have access to a heated garage...

Thanks

·
Registered
2013 F-150 XLT 4WD with 5L
1,778 Posts
The whole room temperature thing stems from folks trying to remove the plugs while the engine is hot and things are still expanded due to that heat. Allowing the engine to cool off before proceeding allows the components to contract a bit aiding in removal of the plugs.

Where extreme cold is concerned I would think that I would wait until the temps were above freezing for sure and maybe even for a 40+ degree day.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.