Ford F150 Forumz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site and haven't had time to look through everything yet but I need to get my truck back on the road! I was told my alternator was bad so I bought a new one and put it in. Easy enough except the one I was running was different than the one I bought. The one I bought fits in the bracket properly which the old one did not. Anyways I jump started it and drove about 45 minutes and it died. It will not start without jumping it. Any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2013 F-150 XLT 4WD with 5L
1,775 Posts
Welcome to the site!

First off, you need to be sure your battery is good. When your truck is running it gets all of its power from the alternator and not the battery. Each cell in the battery provides right about 2.1 volts so a fully charged battery should read 12.6 VDC across the terminals.

If the battery voltage is dropping while the truck sits off then something is draining the battery and that needs to be addressed as well.

Hope that helps.

Mac

·
Registered
1 Posts
You need to actually get a voltmeter out and check the voltage at the output of the alternator as well as the voltage at the battery. If battery is complaint, replace it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts