Ford F150 Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay to start things out i have a 1994 f150 2 wheel drive. it all started when my clutch slave cylinder blew. i dropped my transmission replaced the slave cylinder, and also the clutch master cylinder and along with the clutch itslef and the pressure plate. the mistake i made was i didnt bench bleed the slave before i put it in. i was curious on if i can get the air out of the system without taking it all apart again. i was also wondering how many quarts of gear oil the tranny takes, its a 5 speed. if you can get back to me that would be great i need it operational by tomorrow. thanks

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The easy question...the transmission takes seven quarts of gear oil.

For the bleeding of the system, this is what I have in my manual (some of the info is for illustration purposes only)...

1. Clean the reservoir cap and the slave cylinder connection.
  2. Remove the slave cylinder from the housing.
  3. Using a 3 ⁄ 32 in. punch, drive out the pin that holds the tube in place.
  4. Remove the tube from the slave cylinder and place the end of the tube in a container.
  5. Hold the slave cylinder so that the connector port is at the highest point, by tipping it about 30°from horizontal. Fill the cylinder with DOT 3 brake fluid through the port. It may be necessary to rock the cylinder or slightly depress the pushrod to expel all the air. WARNING
    Pushing too hard on the pushrod will spurt fluid from the port!
  6. When all air is expelled (no more bubble are seen), install the slave cylinder. NOTE: Some fluid will be expelled during installation as the pushrod is depressed.
  7. Remove the reservoir cap. Some fluid will run out of the tube end into the container. Pour fluid into the reservoir until a steady stream of fluid runs out of the tube and the reservoir is filled. Quickly install the diaphragm and cap. The flow should stop.
  8. Connect the tube and install the pin. Check the fluid level.
  9. Check the clutch operation.
Internally Mounted Slave Cylinder

NOTE: With the quick-disconnect coupling, no air should enter the system when the coupling is disconnected. However, if air should somehow enter the system, it must be bled.

1. Remove the reservoir cap and diaphragm. Fill the reservoir with DOT 3 brake fluid.
  2. Connect a piece of rubber tubing to the slave cylinder bleed screw. Place the other end in a container.
  3. Loosen the bleed screw. Gravity will force fluid from the master cylinder to flow down to the slave cylinder, forcing air out of the bleed screw. When a steady stream with no bubbles flows out, the system is bled. Close the bleed screw. NOTE: Check periodically to make sure the master cylinder reservoir doesn't run dry.
    Fig. 1: Clutch release bearing removal with the concentric slave cylinder
    Fig. 2: View of the concentric slave cylinder and throwout bearing assembly

Fig. 3: Removing the throwout bearing from the slave cylinder

Fig. 4: Removing the concentric slave cylinder attaching bolts

Fig. 5: Removing the concentric slave cylinder from the bell housing

Fig. 6: If the special coupling tool is not available, the fluid coupling can be uncoupled with a flat-bladed tool

Fig. 7: Gently pull fluid hose from the fitting

Fig. 8: Always replace the O-ring seal

Fig. 9: Use a box wrench to bleed the concentric slave cylinder at bleeder valve

Fig. 10: Bleeding the external slave cylinder

Fig. 11: Bleeding the concentric slave cylinder
  4. Add fluid to fill the master cylinder reservoir.
  5. Fully depress the clutch pedal. Release it as quickly as possible. Pause for 2 seconds. Repeat this procedure 10 times.
  6. Check the fluid level. Refill it if necessary. It should be kept full.
  7. Repeat Steps 5 and 6 five more times.
  8. Install the diaphragm and cap.
  9. Have an assistant hold the pedal to the floor while you crack the bleed screw (not too far — just far enough to expel any trapped air). Close the bleed screw, then release the pedal.
  10. Check, and if necessary, fill the reservoir.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How do you remove the hard plastic hose from slave cylinder the new one is different it has flat spot on both sides at the connection point the old one on my truck is totally round how do i remove it

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
On vehicles equipped with concentric clutch slave cylinders, remove tube using Clutch Coupling Tool T88T-70522-A.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts