Ford F150 Forumz banner

Drove through puddle - fuel pump???

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  milliesdad 
#1 ·
Hey guys im sure you have seen a million of these threads. Like anyone with truck issues im eager to get it figured out. For summary read parts in bold...

So heres the story:

One very wet and rainy night near the end of winter the roads are all flooded. I was forced to go into very deep part of puddle at about 60km/hr (pretty fast)

So about 1km down the road truck dies. I was very low on gas so I initally thought I ran out of fuel. Waited a bit and turned it back on it started drove 100m then died again. I repeated this about 5 times until I got home (I know not good).

The next morning I was leaving to cuba for a 7 day vacation. Figured I would bring it to mechanic when I got home. So I leave come back and start truck, runs good surprisingly but then going up a hill I noticed it wanted to die kind of chugging and engine almost cutting out and back in a couple times. Told myself it was just from sitting for so long.

So about 3 days later with plenty of driving im about to go on a date, truck wont start (parked on a slight incline nose facing up) im kind of freaking out so I keep trying every 5-10min, eventually starts and dies and starts and dies and then finally starts and runs good. Go on date and come home with no incident (thank god). The engine light came on during this trying to start it in driveway.

Next morning I bring it to my mechanic friend and he reads the code its P0191 something about a fuel sensor. They clear the code and send me on my way and say dont be cheap and keep the fuel tank above 1/4 tank.

So another 3 days pass with truck running perfectly. Then just tonight leaving a friends house truck wont start (raining and wet out but avoided puddle like the plague). I was parked on hill, nose facing up same as before. I let truck roll into street so I would be on level ground and same thing as before finally starts then dies, starts then dies then finally starts and stays on and runs great the whole way home.

Now I have truck in my driveway I made sure to park it with nose down on the incline.

I have very little knowledge of mechanics but previously a car I owned I had a bad fuel pump and it seems like a somewhat similar problem. And the problem always happens when the nose is up which could make it harder for the weak fuel pump to pull the fuel through it???

Another thing to note is I have a leak in the passenger side exhaust manifold for the last 2 years. Possible water got sucked into there?

Did I just get water somewhere it shouldnt be? Would it not have dried up by now?

I dont have many tools other than basic tools and socket set. Willing to go purchase tools and do test and purchase parts. Hoping this can be a DIY repair.

sigh. Anyways any advice is appreciated and sending out + Karma

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.