Ford F150 Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so a question came up a week ago at work and it made me think. question was why didn't i use the engine to slow the trailer.
so my question is, witch motor has more stooping power the 3.5 tt, 5.0, 4.7, 5.4, 6.2.
every one in my shop says the v6 or 3.5 will lose in all aspects of motor braking a load, due to the lack of cylinders and such a low compression for the turbos. so i would think the 6.2 would be at the top of the list with the 5.4 next and then 5.0. dose this sound right or am i missing something?
all points of view are welcome and thank in advance

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
It seems to me that braking power with the power train is more of gearing issue than an engine issue. Take the same engine with different transmission gear rations and the one with a lower gear ratio will stop the vehicle sooner than the other.

Diesel engines use the engine almost as much as gearing because of how they release the air from the combustion chamber without transferring energy stored in the compressed air to go to the crankshaft.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mr mac i have never thought about that as a part of the equations. but lets say they all have the same gears in the trans and rear ends. would one be better over the others?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I just can't see that being that much of a factor. Compression ratios are more important to making power than stopping power. Like the diesel example, I would think the more power an engine creates then the less engine braking you'll get and it still boils down to overall gearing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts