Ford F150 Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
First, welcome to the forum!

I make sure the air intake system is clean and unobstructed all the way through. A CAI system might also help but I just don't want to part with the money!

Also make sure that your distributor cap/rotor and plugs are all good and properly set. Every once in a while I run a fuel system cleaner through the tank to keep the injectors clean and keep the oil changed.

Around town we average 16-17 mpg and on the highway (without the A/C) we see around 20 mpg and that will drop down to 18-19 with it on. I should also mention that I tend to drive at the speed limit (65 around here) and that also helps. Not at all bad for a truck that weighs in at 5600 pounds!

What kind of numbers do you see with your truck?

·
Registered
2 Posts
5.4L-fuel economy

Interested in learning whether a replacement air intake system and or chip
will actually improve fuel economy -or is this just a horse-power
improvement-does expense justify results??

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
A better breathing engine will both perform better and use less fuel. You can start simply by swapping out your old paper air filter and go to something like a K&N filter.

Oil changes when required keeps things moving along inside the engine with no added friction.

Keeping excess weight out of your truck and driving the speed limit will also aid in getting better gas mileage.

Properly inflated tires will also help tremendously.

Keep your speed down! I hate this one myself as I drive 160 miles home every week and usually want to get there sooner than later! I have found, however, that driving at 75 versus 65 (posted limit) doesn't really get me there any faster as I usually have to slow down when my spider sense detects a highway patrolman!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts