Ford F150 Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me about the chips by GF are worth the $ 69 and the problems they might give me if installed?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from So. Illinois!

If you're looking at a chip to install to reduce fuel consumption then you'll really be tossing your money away. Ford, along with just about every other manufacturer out there, tunes their engines for optimum mileage in order to meet EPA standards. They do this by making the engine run as lean as possible while still churning out enough horsepower to allow it to get out of it's own way.

The best solution to increasing fuel mileage is to help the truck breathe better (i.e. K&N filter, CAI. etc.) and adjust your driving habits. My truck is a 2004 Super Crew 4WD monster with the 5.4L V8 and driving home this past weekend I got 20 mpg on the highway traveling at about 68 mph. The only thing I do is keep the air filter clean and change the oil.

In town I get anywhere between 13 and 15 mpg depending on air conditioning usage and such.

If you're looking to increase power then fuel mileage should not even be a consideration as the two typically don't go together.

As for the GForce chips themselves, all it is, is a resistor that goes between your sensor wires and tells the computer false readings which isn't really going to help anything. From what I have read it will also cause your check engine light to come on and stay on which might well mask any real issues that may come up.

Hope that helps some.

Mac

1 - 3 of 3 Posts