Ford F150 Forumz banner

fuse- link blowing

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Mr Mac 
#1 ·
I've been having trouble with my 1990 F-150.

It started with a fuse-link blowing. I believe it was fuse link P (that's the designation in my "electrical and vacuum troubleshooting" book) when that happened the truck died.

Next, My mechanic changed the fuse-link out with a Napa fuse link of the same gauge. The truck ran for a few weeks (it's not a daily driver so I used it maybe 4 of 5 times) then that fuse-link tried to blow, but didn't, and fried my under dash wiring harness. The main power wire (yellow) to the ignition switch melted and burned a bunch of other wires. I was finally able to replace the harness, and put the truck back together.

I changed out the alternator thinking that that might be the cause of the trouble. I put an in-line fuse (20A) in place of the fuse-link, and ran the truck for a few more weeks, then pop! the fuse blew.

I have looked for a cause but cannot find one. Dose anyone here have any idea what could be causing this problem?

-everettdale

#3 ·
Sorry, been away for a couple of days.

You mention the P link. In my manuals I see the M link which connects to the voltage regulator so I believe you are on the right track. If your truck has the regulator in the alternator then that is the most likely cause otherwise look for the external regulator.

Mac

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.