Ford F150 Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this web site, I found it due to researching my fuel tank problems. I should say I have narrowed it down to the front tank fuel pump or the front tank fuel pump, I don't know enough about the switching unit to know if that could be the problem instead of or including.

I was driving to work and the check engine lght came on and the engine hesatated and then began to run ok and the check engine light went out I drove the 35 miles to work just fine. I statred for home in the afternoon and the check engine light cames on again after less than a mile of travel, I had the same lack of pick up and then it took off. I drove about 25 miles (Stop and go and freeway) and the engine quit and I pulled over and looked at the engine, seemed like the thing to do. I found no over heating oil level good. I then thought that it could be fuel so I switched to the rear tank and the engin fired up. I got to a station and added 5 gals to the empty rear tank and went home. Next day the same problem with the rear tank and check engine light, I experence the engine quiting but the hesatation. I parked it and got a ride to work.

Has anyone had this same type of problem?

I read online that the fuel relay could be bad so I replaced it, only foreteen $ could work. The truch has 299 plus K and this motort was put in with 70 K on it 4 years ago according to the shop i bought it from.

William

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Have you replaced the fuel filter already? Have you checked the fuel lines where they come together? If the problem exists with both tanks then the problem is likely towards the engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check to see if your truck has a fuel pump in the frame rail under the cab. Your truck may have a pusher pump in each tank and a single booster pump between the tanks and the engine. If replacing your fuel filtre doesn't cure your problem, get a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel injecter log on top of the manifold. Should be 35 or better.If it is a low pressure, this pump may be the problem. Hope this helps...Karl

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just went through this. I had 20psi and 28psi fuel pressure at the fuel rail from rear and front tanks respectively. Ran bad and would run rough if left to idle then die altogether. Replaced front fuel tank pump with unit from Ford (a bit pricey) and truck runs like new. I had replaced fuel filters several times prior with no results.

good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts