Ford F150 Forumz banner

No crank, no start...FYI

21K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  karls lincoln 
#1 ·
This is info for 2004/08 F150 owners. Here's the scenario.
Driving home, 100km/hr and the motor shuts down. Coast to a stop. Put in park, turn key and nothing...no crank. Full power, all lights on. Check engine light on and" check gauges " showing on the panel.
Towed truck home with my other truck ( 2 miles at about 10 miles/hr )
Scanner would not link to PCM. Checked fuses. Power to PCM fuse was blown. Changed fuse. Still would not link. Fuse blew as soon as key turned on.
Consulted with Ford mechanic buddies, this site and other F150 forums. The consensus was that it could be one of several things. Fuel pump control module, crank sensor, Gear range sensor(neutral safety switch) , the PCM itself , or the factory command start.
Everyone was adamant that " there is no way whatsoever that the Fuel pump control module failing will cause a no crank situation".
Being that is a commonly known issue with 04 to 08 F150's, I started with it first anyway.
Getting the spare tire down at -34 Celius was a real treat. Had to break the lock off to access the wind down crank( never been used-my bad). After chipping all the ice out of the way, it came down surprisingly easy.
After removing 50 pounds of frozen sand and another 100 pounds of ice, then I got to fight the tire holder to get it to separate to slip through the rim ( LOTS of WD40, a heat gun...and a ball peen hammer)
Removing the module from the frame took 2 minutes. Found a quarter sized hole in the back of the unit. It was also full of sand and water.
Note: the engineer that decided that this was a good place to mount a crucial electronic controller should be shot and pi%&ed on.
Put the updated module in ( marinated the back of it in Never-seize) and the frame behind it.
Had removed the battery cable before starting this, so replaced cable, changed the PCM fuse, plugged in the scanner. It gave a P1000 code ( fuel issue) Turned the key and" all was good in the universe".
The code cleared and truck runs fine now. Fixed the tire lock ( dealership wanted $125 plus $25 to re-key it to the ignition key)
Module was $230 ( Canadian ). Have heard prices ranging anywhere from $90 on ebay all the way up to $350.
SO, if I had taken this to the dealership, tow bill would have been $125, shop rate $100/hour...bill would have easily been $1500 plus.
I'd highly recommend anyone with an 04 to 08 to drop your spare ( preferably when its nice out) and check your module. Mine gave no indication that it would fail. It just quit. Some people have said that their truck quits but then restarts, or it will crank but not start. apparently symptoms are different.
It would really suck if it quit 100 miles down some bush road or halfway across the country pulling a trailer.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.