Ford F150 Forumz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i own a 2008 4x4 and would like to get a little more jump out of it. i have a Volant cold Air Intake installed, but i want more lol i was told a performance exhaust would be the first step before a intake, but it was a gift so i installed it anyway. if someone could point me in the right direction for getting the best out of my Ford.

what type of exhaust or make ?
what type of chip ?
does a throttle body spacer really make a difference aswell?

Thanx
the newbie

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The key to more power is better breathing and exhaust so anything you can do in that respect helps. You are on the right track with the CAI and a larger throttle body (80 mm versus the 70 mm stock unit) would allow more air in as well. A new intake manifold would also help greatly though, you won't fully realize the increase until you get all the extra air out of your engine.

A new exhaust system (with hi-flow cats) would also help out with performance but this is where people really get confused when they add headers and more free-flowing mufflers and all they seem to notice is a better sound if they didn't do anything about intake. The two definitely go hand in hand!

Chips...I like mine with French onion dip.

Okay, I'll be serious, I have heard so many conflicting stories about performance chips. Some folks swear by them and others are sorry they ever got it because they always have to fool with them. Just remember this, you get what you pay for.

Above all else, make sure you have a good ignition system already (new plugs if you haven't already) and wires and ensure your coil packs are good. Doesn't make sense to get more air/fuel into the cylinders if you can make it burn! ;)

Mac

·
Registered
182 Posts
Don't throw your money away. The OEM intake/exhaust is optimized for the best efficiency/performance. With VVT, screwing with aftermarket CAI will just make things worse. This is mainly due to the MAF transfer function which is calibrated on the OEM intake tube diameter. With COPs, you don't have plug wires

·
Registered
10 Posts
I Love my Volant, also installed Dual Flow Masters 40 Series, Edge Programer performance wise. I feel it was money well spent. I noticed a difference. I'm running Mickey Thompson 35"MTZ. Not major throw your head back into the seat difference. People will always say they spent a little and incredible gains. Thats's all Snake Oil.
I Love the new sound of my truck, was able to adjust for my larger tires, able to adjust power settings. I feel I gained performance, worth the money? I feel it was, but to others maybe not.
New Parts $300 Intake 20% gain. $300 Exhaust 20% gain, $350 Chip/Programmer 20% gains, $100 Throttle body 20% gain, $300 Throddle Spacer 20% gain = $ 1,350 for maybe 25% gain total.

If you want a more power go with a SuperCharger $4000-$6000.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts