Ford F150 Forumz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do love my Fords but maybe I'm just getting too old.

2004 F150 4.6L STX four door, with 291,000 miles. Out of no where it starts sputtering, rough idle, no power and running very rich ... very. Checked codes indicated MAF, removed and cleaned (electric contact cleaner), cleaned throttle body and intake (throttle body cleaner) and replaced EGR valve. Restarted still just as rich and just as rough. Disconnected MAF and it ran strong.

Reset codes, restarted to check codes again, damn still running just as rough. New codes now indicate P0191 fuel rail pressure sensor, P2196 O2 bank 1 sensor 1 and P2198 bank 2 sensor 1.

It sounds like process of elimination instead of technology to me. What next fuel pump, fuel pump drive module or catalytic converter .........................

We have also:

Changed fuel filter

Changed plugs

Seafoamed
1/3 in gas, 1/3 in crankcase oil
1/3 through brake booster vac hose

Pulled FPDM and it doesn't look bad

HELP !!!!!!!!!!! any suggestions or secrets?

·
Premium Member
2013 F-150 XLT 4WD with 5L
1,775 Posts
First, welcome to the forum.

Next, if you're using a code reader that you can get from many of the auto parts stores all over the US then you may not be getting the correct code. As much as I love doing things myself, I know for a fact that those readers can send you on the proverbial wild goose chase and that the best thing you can do is spend the $90 most dealerships want for the correct diagnosis of your troubles.

As for running rough, yes, there are a lot of things that can cause that starting with the powertrain control module (PCM) right on down to the tape Ford used to cover the splices.

If you were going to take a next step, it should be to open up the passenger side kick panel and look at the wiring from the PCM to make sure it is all in good order (paying special attention to the splices) and after that, go to the nearest Ford dealer and have them diagnose the issue as it may be the PCM itself.

Mac

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do love my Fords but maybe I'm just getting too old.

2004 F150 4.6L STX four door, with 291,000 miles. Out of no where it starts sputtering, rough idle, no power and running very rich ... very. Checked codes indicated MAF, removed and cleaned (electric contact cleaner), cleaned throttle body and intake (throttle body cleaner) and replaced EGR valve. Restarted still just as rich and just as rough. Disconnected MAF and it ran strong.

Reset codes, restarted to check codes again, damn still running just as rough. New codes now indicate P0191 fuel rail pressure sensor, P2196 O2 bank 1 sensor 1 and P2198 bank 2 sensor 1.

It sounds like process of elimination instead of technology to me. What next fuel pump, fuel pump drive module or catalytic converter .........................

We have also:

Changed fuel filter

Changed plugs

Seafoamed
1/3 in gas, 1/3 in crankcase oil
1/3 through brake booster vac hose

Pulled FPDM and it doesn't look bad

HELP !!!!!!!!!!! any suggestions or secrets?
Sounds like what happened to mine. Did it suck fuel..stall out.. Did you resolve the problem? I am curious..did you by chance have a K&N air filter in it? What happened to mine was I installed a K&N air filter which has that red filter oil sprayed on it..and that's what foulded the MAFS(Mass air flow sensor) on mine. Of course they are intregrated into the throttle body..on my 06..from what you describe..when you disconnected the MAFS..it ran better..The problem likey is a fouled mass air flow sensor..cleaning it might not be enough..it maybe you'll have to replace the throttle body..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts