Ford F150 Forumz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, This will be my first post and its a bit of a perplexing one. I have a 2006 F-150 Lariat 5.4L with 132000 miles. I've had the typical problems that most people on here have described with this engine. I have replaced the Timing Chains, Cam Phasers, VCT Solenoids, Timing guides and the timing tensioners(twice). The second time I replaced the tensioners with the cast iron ratchet style. The engine still has a loud top end rattle at startup. At this point it doesn't seem to matter what the outside temp is or how long the truck sits. Oil pressure at 2000 RPM was holding steady at 70 and at idle I haven't seen it any less that 20 PSI. I'm, at this point, very frustrated trying to track down and repair the root cause of the noise before something in the top end of the engine decides to give due to all the "dry" starts. Has anybody had issues like this? Could it be an oil pump going out, or something that I haven't looked at yet? Please help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Saw this issue at first startup at the dealer on the '06 5.4 I just bought--I looked at it right after trade-in, before it went in their shop. The noise went away within a minute of startup, so I thought it was an issue with oil pressure pump-up on something.

They went through it and found that an exhaust manifold was the issue. It was apparently warped just enough to leak and make the sound at startup, then heated up and conformed to the head to quiet down.

They replaced the manifold (took a week because of a balky stud), I accepted the truck, and all is good. Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts