Ford F150 Forumz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my F150 since June and have been getting over 21 mpg on the highway. I thought this was great so I double checked the MPG display multiple times by filling up and doing the math. The display was surprisingly accurate confirming the great MPG. This truck was getting the same MPG as my 2008 Nissan Frontier.

But around 5200 miles the MPG dropped. I can barely hit 19 MPG now. Again I cross-checked the display with multiple fill-ups over a month to confirm. I drive the same commute, same driving habits, etc.

What would cause the sudden drop in MPG and will it improve?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am only on my second tank of fuel. I bought the truck in New mexico where the regular gas is 86 octane. When I drove home to Nevada, it averaged betweem 18.5 & 19 MPG's. Since the trip, I have refilled the tank with regular again at 87 octane. Most of my driving is on the freeway, but so far, the truck is telling me that it is averaging 17.5 MPG's. I will continue to monitor it, but I am wondering why the drop in MPG's as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, in colder months, more additives are used to help start a cold engine ( liquid butane ) and when the motor is warm, it does nothing for gas mileage. It really effects mileage the farther north you go. Personnally, regular fuel is not good fuel. See if mid grade or even if premium might be better for you. The new motors really respond their tuning by use of the knock sensors and quickly, so the lower the octane, the crappier the computor tune ( ie less timing, retarded cam timing to decrease cylinder pressure which results in less performance and mileage). My new 2011 5.0L is giving me only13 mpg around town right now, about 2 mpg less then my Lightning equiped 99 4x4, so I hope it increase greatly!!! Check your air pressure in the tires and the air filtre. All the little things add up.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Another item that will affect your fuel mileage is using the floor heat and/or window defroster. With Ford, when you select either of those two positions on your climate control the A/C compressor is also turned on that that can reduce fuel economy anywhere from 5-25%!

For those of us with 4WD trucks and those days where we actually have snow on the roads and we engage that system fuel mileage is again affected.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Now that the weather has warmed up and with good gas, my city driving has increased up to around 15mpg's and my last 3 hr trip to Duluth, MN gave me around 20 mpg at about 65 mph, so getting better. 3100 miles on the truck now. Really starting to like this truck. It sure is quiet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey guy! On my rig i currently ave. 9to14 / gal... I only travel 5miles to work

When u say highway miles how long is ur travel time and speed to determine ur mpg?g

I think the numbera on the scteen is kind a off??? I think ill get an accurate reading for my highway miles is when i go out of town from nc to va...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since new, my '13 FX4 has averaged 12.9 in 90% city driving. On the rare occasion that I take it on the highway the mileage goes up to 14.8 @ 55mph running on cruise control. this is right about what I expected for a six thousand pound truck sporting 20" wheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts