Ford F150 Forumz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

im new to this and you've all probably heard this a million times, but my 2007 f150 5.4 liter lar. has a nasty ticking noise at all times. all the plugs and coils are new and just had the dealer replace phasers and sensors under my extended warranty. They gave the truck back and said the noise was typical. If the noise was typical, why would they change the phasers and sensors? could it be valves, injectors, or exhaust? if i plug the muffler it doesnt get louder so i didnt think it was exhaust. should i try sea foam and if the noise changes at all, aim my efforts at injectors? Any advice would be appreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
2013 F-150 XLT 4WD with 5L
1,778 Posts
It could be lifter noise and maybe the Seafoam could help. When was the last oil change and what oil weight are you using?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Phasers and VCT solenoids generally cause a diesel sounding knocking/ticking. I've got to replace those on my truck still. When's the noise heard? Worse when cold or hot, or at a certain RPM? Lifters would be a good bet, but I'd rule out something simple like a exhaust leak, too. The Passenger side Manifolds are known for breaking studs, and of course that's the side that's a bear to get to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello New to this forum But just today My 2005 f150 went in for bad ticking niose at start up then all the time i was on the gas The ford dealer told me it was a bad pass side exhaust manifold I thought it was in the engine Just sayin have it checked, my truck has 80,000 miles I'm original owner

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mr. Mac, What solenoid or vacuum operated valve would make a ticking sound?

I'd take a length of Hard rubber garden hose and go 'megaphoning' around that engine compartment till I found that Ticking noise.
A broom handle works well too.

·
Registered
2013 F-150 XLT 4WD with 5L
1,778 Posts
As Nic pointed out, The variable camshaft timing (VCT) oil control solenoid is an electrically controlled hydraulic valve that directs engine oil to the variable camshaft. Once the PCM transmits a signal, the solenoid moves a valve spool, directing oil into the camshaft phaser cavity. This action changes valve timing by either inducing an advance or retard condition. The camshaft is, thereby repositioned in relation to crankshaft timing and allows for optimum engine performance and lower emissions.

The camshaft phasers themselves are usually the culprit behind the noise. My truck sits at about 115k miles and I am now starting to hear them chatter at startup. Time to replace them. Ugh.

Here is a link for what they look like...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got finished installing a rebuilt engine in my 2004 f150 5.4 due to a bad cam follower or so called rocker arm.Slipped away from cam pushed valve sprig retainer down and valve keepers popped out and swallowed a valve.Needle bearingings go bad in rockers very common.Also timming chain tensioners gaskets blow out and you loose oil pressure at tensioners.So when you do timing chain and phasers and guides Make sure you replace rockers to.My truck had 133,000 on it changed oil every 3000 miles motor was very clean internally.Dealer told me timing chain should be replaced @ 120,000.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wayneb

I had the same noise and took my truck to 3 different Ford dealerships. the same answer at all of them. OOH that's normal is what they all said. several months later and no more warranty the motor had to be replaced. $5800.00 later it ran fine. All that happened at 54,000 miles. Ford gave me a 100,000 mile warranty on the new motor. At about 75,000 miles it started making the same sound again. I took it back to Ford and they said it was a cracked manifold. I paid $1000.00 to fix that. the noise came back again and they say that nothing is wrong. now im out of warranty by 5,000 miles and go figure, the engine is gone again. I wonder if I can get a new Chevy motor put in my Ford.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.