Ford F150 Forumz banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to buy a trifold tonneau cover for my 2012 F-150 SCAB 6-1/2' box. I used a tool box on the last truck but want to try a tonneau on this truck. Any recomendations from tonneau owners? Issues? How do they hold up over time?

thedirtfan :confused:

·
Premium Member
2013 F-150 XLT 4WD with 5L
1,775 Posts
We had a Chevy C-1500 many years ago and it had a soft cover on it and, while it was pretty easy to remove, it didn't offer any security at all for the contents of the bed. It also let enough air in the bed while driving to cause it to bubble up which stretched the material allowing it to sag when parked and then it would collect rain water.

The tonneau covers of today I know are much more secure and made of better materials than they were just a few years ago. Still, I now have a fiberglass cover that completely covers the truck bed and locks (as does my tailgate) and things stay dry! We get our fair share of heavy rain storms here in the Midwest and I have never had a leak! Yes, they cost more and are kind of heavy but it's worth it for the protection of my tools and whatever else I put back there.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
By the way, welcome to the forum!

Mac

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a new truck and was searching for the same information as you and thought I would share this review I found on the Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite.

Being as I cannot post a link to the review. I found it on the 'FordRaptorForums' at the web extension /f11/review-fold-cover-g4-elite-5296/

I am pretty sure I am going to get one from their website. Based on this review they seem to be extremely durable.

http://www.foldacoverfactorystore.com/

Just throwing in my two cents.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I went for the Lund Genesis tri-fold. Got a good price on it. It looks great and seems to be easy to remove.

thedirtfan
Support your local dirt track!

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Be sure to keep us posted on the installation and how it looks/works when it's on!

Mac

·
Registered
7 Posts
After looking around I decided to go with the G4 Elite Fold-a-Cover. I used a coupon code I found in the Raptor forums (Code: FordRaptorForum) to get a pretty good deal in their Factory Store and just I installed it this week

So far I love the functionality of it. Very easy to get access to my entire truck bed which is a plus.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Looks good!

Mac

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have really been enjoying my new G4 Elite Fold-a-Cover so I thought I would leave a short review.

My favorite feature is that I have the option to open the cover form either the front or back, it makes it easy to get items in and out of the truck without having to always walk around to the tailgate. I also decided to get the Personal Caddy (basically a drop-in toolbox) so that some of my smaller items stay organized and don’t roll around in the bed. I was worried at first about having room for longer lumber until they told me it is a suspended installation that leaves about 4 inches open under the caddy (see second pic for what I’m talking about).

The cover is relatively light weight so it is still easy enough to fold up and down by myself. In the folded position the cover leaves me plenty of room to haul anything I need with the 4 panel design vs. most of the other covers I looked at having only 3 panels. I don’t plan on taking it off really, but it looks like just pulling out the caddy and removing 4 bolts should do it…wouldn’t take longer than 5 minutes probably, but you’d need two people to help pull the caddy out as it goes in pretty snug against the side walls.

The low profile design of the latches is a plus and I really like being able to open the cover without opening the tailgate, especially nice when it’s parked in the garage; otherwise I would have to open the garage door to open the tailgate first. Each latch (front and back) has its own locking mechanism to help keep all the items in my bed secure, plus that means I can keep the caddy locked and have the other end open if there’s nothing in the bed to secure.

We did get some pretty good rain this past week and I did have a few drops near the tailgate. Not sure where they came in, but I think just adding some of that tailgate seal stuff should close up any holes where water could get in. About the only real “complaint” I have is a couple times I've closed the cover first, then the tailgate, which then bends back the seal on the edge cover. Not really a complaint, more just something I have to remember not to do anymore!

Overall, definitely a great purchase for me.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
That is one thing I really liked about my older trucks and that was the tool box I had in a couple of them! Sure made life easier to find something that just an open bed or trying to keep things inside the confines of the open bed extender!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts