Ford F150 Forumz banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am sorry for breaking your forums code by not being a legit owner, because it is actually my dads, and he has always had a f150 since i was born 16 years ago and also long before that.
he has had this truck for 7 years now and he always tells me to "go fix that". since i am such a great son, i am fixing fathers problems on mothers day(irony). im just above the level of noob, so i will understand stuff with a lil' bit of help

The Problem: it has 110,000 miles, and a while ago the cruise control went out and a while after that the transmission started to grind the gears.(order: cruise,transmission,110k) he took it to the mechanic paid $100 to fix it and instead it was $100 to find out how much it would actually take to fix it, which was $400. my dad still thinks it is only the neutral switch(i think), and paid their $100 and left.

so has anybody had these problems or do they know what is wrong. if it is easy enough, father son bonding time, yeah!

·
Premium Member
2013 F-150 XLT 4WD with 5L
1,777 Posts
First, welcome to the forum!

I am going to comment based on the information presented alone. If the transmission is grinding while shifting gears then the last thing the problem would be is the neutral safety switch and anyone who diagnoses that as the problem doesn't need to get paid for that! The neutral safety switch only prevents you from starting the truck without disengaging the clutch first thereby preventing an inadvertent launch.

There are a few causes for grinding gears. First would be the clutch not fully disengaging (master or slave cylinder) during the shifting operation, bad bearings, gears or synchros in the transmission itself, and so on. I would take it to a good transmission shop and have them look into it.

As for the cruise control, more often than not, the servo is the part that goes bad first if not the fuse.

Mac

1 - 2 of 2 Posts