Ford F150 Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced the problem I'm having with my 1989 ford f150. It runs fine, then it will go completely dead, all the lights on the dash will also be out (like i've taken out the key). I'll wait 5 minutes and it will start right back up, and then 10 miles later it will die again. Has anyone ever heard of this problem? Thanks for any commemts.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Right off I can think of a few issues that could be causing this issue.

One is an open somewhere in the electrical system that could cut all power to the truck. This could be a fusible link that is on its way to being bad or the alternator losing its connection or ground.

When this happens do you have power to anything or is it all dead?

Another problem could be the ignition switch itself.

Lots of things could be happening. Has there been any work done on the truck prior to this happening or is this just out of the blue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your suggestions, I don't have any power at all when it dies, not even any lights on the dashboard. The strange thing to me is after waiting a few minutes, it will start back up and I may go 50 miles before it does it again, or 2 blocks, I never know.

Someone told me they've heard of a similar problem with a module on the engine, but I don't know what the're talking about.

Again, thanks for your feedback

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
For that year it is the EECM (Electronic Engine Control Module). It took some doing but I did uncover a basic schematic for you that might help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello, I've located the module, going to change it out this weekend and see if that does the trick.

I appreciate you taking the time to give me information, at least I have things to check now, hopefully I can solve this mystery.

Thank You

1 - 5 of 5 Posts