Ford F150 Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well i was just told some info i thought i would share with everyone. so i went in to get my trailer back after having the wheel bearings greased. i know but i just had no time to do it on matter how easy it is. so the dealer told me that anything over half the weight of the tow vehicle needs to have a weight distribution hitch for it. i was always under the thought that #5000 pounds or more needed a WD hitch. but its is safer to use one when ever you get to or over half of vehicle doing the towing. and i also learned that you should check the distance between the wheels and finder before the trailer is hooked up then set the hitch to it with in half of a inch + or - of that unloaded height. if you know this or have heard this before disregard but i have never heard this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
don't for get to set your brakes to where they lock up then back them off one step! and remember to always keep the twice the space you need to stop in front of you for such a time as you need to stop! hay have fun and keep it shiny side up!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Good info! Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an Equalizer WD hitch. They have a good write up on how to set up their WD hitch starting on page 16. I would think the procedure is similar to other makes. They recommend that the rear fender distance should be about half way between the unloaded and the loaded-no weight distribution positions. Note you should never have so much leverage being applied by the WD hitch that your front fender distance is less than the original unloaded distance (means that you have put too much weight on the front end, see their Figure 21 on page 20). Here's a link to their set up manual.
http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/EQOwnersManual.pdf

1 - 4 of 4 Posts