Ford F150 Forumz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't resist! Well I almost didn't register at all, but then I thought it would be cool to be the only one in this part of the forum. It's got to start somewhere right? Well anyway, I just purchased a 1985 F150 300 I6 from my work. $400 got me a nice little truck. It needs some TLC, but it will haul the bigger stuff from Home Depot just fine. It tops out at 55mph on the highway, but I'm just fine with that. Have a huge leak between the tranny and engine. Could just be the oil sending unit or the rear main seal. I'll get to it. Battery is new and it dies when it sits. I'll chase that drain down. Also, when I drove the truck home, about 25mi on the highway, I stopped at a gas station half way home to find the battery was dead. Weird thing is that when I drive short distances this doesnt happen. The good thing is that I'm not worried about any of this stuff. I've got my little work horse and I'm gonna take the laid back approach to fixing it up.

My guess is 1 year before there is another 2nd generation registered user here.

One more thing. By the time this gets answered I'm sure I will be very familiar with this, but what are some common fixes and mods for f150s with the 300 I6 & T18 set up? THANKS!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Welcome from So. Illinois!

If your 4.9L motor was like mine you have a one barrel carb sitting on top and that just won't do! The best way to remedy that is a swap for an injected 4.9L from a later model or even step up the one barrel or move to a two or four (though the four seems like too much).

One easy fix is to clean out the ports you have and add a set of headers to help it breathe better.

Great engine that 300 CID six shooter!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts